|STAFF||GAMEDAY SETUP INFORMATION||TEAM DOCTORS||LIGHTNING POLICY||WEATHER INFORMATION||Sports Medicine Forms||Sports Medicine Policies|
LIGHTNING/SEVERE WEATHER POLICY
The following is based upon the recommendations of the Athletic Training Department of the University of Montevallo.
1. Athletes participating in outdoor activity will attempt to be aware of the most recent forecast.
2. Should conditions exist for a possible thunderstorm or other weather event, the following chain of command will monitor the weather conditions during the event:
- Certified Athletic Trainer on site
- Athletic Director
- School Administrator
- Head Coach
3. The designated monitor(s), in most cases the Certified Athletic Trainer, will discuss with the game officials, prior to the start of the contest, the impending severe weather plan. Coaches MUST be aware of this policy in case a Certified Athletic Trainer is not present! This policy saves lives!
4. If the National Weather Service issues a "Severe Weather Watch", this will result in INTENSE MONITORING of conditions with high alert readiness, but will not result in an immediate cancellation of the event itself.
5. ALL play will be STOPPED and the fields and stands evacuated immediately towards the nearest INDOOR facility if any of the following happen:
- Lightning is within ten (10) miles of the playing fields 6.If evacuation must take place, a horn will sound alerting all players and spectators to immediately vacate the area and go to the nearest indoor facility.
6. Play WILL NOT resume for a minimum of 30 minutes AFTER the last lightning strike. Lightning strikes and storm activity will be determined by Telvent Dtn., a weather forecasting and monitoring service.
7. No play will happen until Telvent Dtn. Issues an “All Clear” message, which means there is no lightning in the ten (10) mile radius.
8. Venues will evacuate to the following buildings:
- Varsity Soccer Field: Student Activity Center
- Kermit A. Johnson Baseball Field: Lund (Dormitory)
- Intramural Fields: Lund
- Tennis Courts: Student Activity Center
- Fields 4 & 5: Lund